John HAUSE Sr. Surname:
Hause, House, Hauze Given Name: JohnNSFX: Sr.Sex: M
Birth: 15 Sep 1773 in Rockland County, New York Death: 17 Jan 1844 in Canoga, Seneca County, New YorkBurial: Canoga, Red Jacket Cemetery, Seneca County, New York
Rec'd Patent on 203 acres in Fayette Twp. Seneca Co. N Y. At his death, the farm was divided into 11 parcels and each Parcel was given to his children.
was known as Hause's Point. He raised his family and died there.
from Mary Margaret Deal Rawe:
Sources of information: records of Alberta Spaid Reeder, Geneva, N. Y.
last will of Esther Ketcham Hause, Bible of Henry Hause of Ovid, N. Y.,
Cemetery records of Canoga Cemetery Seneca Co. N Y, Bible of Caroline Hause and John Storm Gage in Poss. of Mrs. Robert E. Thompsen of Sperryville, VA.
E. HAUSE Sr. b: 24 Feb 1750 in Haverstraw, Rockland Co., New York
Martha WOOD b: 4 May 1753 in Tappan, Rockland Co., New York
Esther KETCHAM b: 5 Sep 1779 in Orange County, New York
- DELABAR HAUSE was born on 7 Sep 1797 in Orange Co., New York. He married Sarah Burroughs (b. 4 Dec 1794 in Hunterdon Co, NJ). They appeared in the 1830 US census in Seneca Falls, Seneca Co, NY, ("Dellaber Hause," 1 male 15-20, 1 male 30-40, 1 female 0-5, 1 female 10-15, 1 female 30-40), and in the 1860 US census in Nunda, Livingston Co, NY, ("Delaby HOUSE," age 63 born NY, Sarah 66, NJ). Sarah died after the 1860 census, probably in Nunda, Livingston Co, NY. He died on 18 Feb 1868, at age 70.
- CHARLES HAUSE was born on 3 March 1799 in Orange Co., New York. He married Elizabeth Young and they had: He died on 10 Sept. 1885. Before he died his was profiled in the local newspaper, giving family genealogists excellent information about the Hauses in Fayette: "By chance last week we passed a night with the aged pioneer Mr Charles Hause on Hause's Point on the west shore of Cayuga Lake. In the morning we learned it was Mr Hause's birthday (86th) and that he had spent eighty of these years on the same point of land.
He was born of Dutch parents in the town of Warwick, Orange Co. N.Y. March 3, 1799, a babe in his mothers arms when the "Father of his Country Died". In 1802 his parents removed to the "lake country" and purchased a small place called Ovid Center, the same farm lately owned by Geo Helfuean, son-in-law of your townsman A. Flickinger, Esq. In 1805 or 1809 his father sold this purchase to his brother ... and bought out the improvements of a squatter on a two hundred and fifty acre lot which from him has ever since been called Hause's Point.
Here Charles first distinct memory of practical life begins, although he now recalls several incidents of their carving into the wilderness; two weeks on the way in a covered wagon, as was then usual drawn by a yoke of oxen.
Very few advantages were offered his youth, but few schools, no churches and their nearest mill was at Waterloo.
The wild unbroken forest was spread out all around them with here and there only a settler. The timid gentle deer fed with their herds on their fields of grain till he had reached his early youth. When he had reached his majority he bought thirty acres of the rear part of his father's purchase and began life for himself. In 1826 he married Miss Elizabeth Young, and together they toiled adding to his little lot which with a portion set off to him from his father's estate now makes his farm one hundred and four acres of excellent grain land.
Five children blessed their union, two sons and three daughters. One of these sons he gave to his country and he fell in the war for the Union at Cold Harbor, Va., and now lies in an unknown and unnamed grave. His wife, the faithful sharer of his struggles and triumphs, died in 1865 and two of the three daughters since then. He married a second time but was a second time bereaved and now, like a lone forest tree, almost branchless and leafless, blasted by many storms and winds of adversity, he waits his own removal." Death record in Fayette Township, Seneca Co., NY, at the town office: Death record found in book covering 1885 line 105 has "June 10th Charles Hawes (Hause) 80 yrs 3 mo., 7 days, farmer born Orange Co., NY father John Hawes, mother Esther (Ketchum) Hawes; died Fayette, New York from pneumonia; Dr. F. H. Flood M.D." His children:
I. Caroline Hause was born on 31 Dec 1837 in Canoga, Seneca, New York.
II. Ethial Hause was born on 14 Oct 1840 in Fayette, Seneca, New York. He died on 3 Jun 1864 in Richmond, Virginia, serving in New York's 148th Volunteers when he was killed at the battle of Cold Harbor. He is buried on the battlefield.
III. Marilda Hause was born on 29 Dec 1841 in Canoga, Seneca, New York. She married James Moyer (b. 1838) and died on 23 Oct 1883 in Seneca, New York.
Alonzo Hause and his descendants in 1919 at Canoga Pond, Seneca County, New York.
IV. Alonzo R Hause was born on 13 Nov 1844 in Canoga, Seneca, New York. On 3 Mar 1868, he married Sarah B. De Pew (1851-1904) in Canoga, Seneca, New York (Source: A genealogical record of the descendants of Quartermaster George Colton By George Woolworth Colton, p. 97). He died on 22 Aug 1927 in Corry, Erie, Pennsylvania.
1. Jennie Ray Hause was born on 13 Apr 1870 in Fayette, Seneca, New York. On 3 Nov 1895, she married Hibbard Grant Bachman (1864-1908) in Canoga, Seneca, New York (Source: A genealogical record of the descendants of Quartermaster George Colton By George Woolworth Colton, p. 97) She died on 25 Apr 1957 in Rochester, Monroe, New York.
2. Harry Nelson Hause was born on 15 Mar 1872 in Havanna, Schuyler, New York. On 11 Oct 1892, she married Iva Lamont (1874-1958) in New York (Source: A genealogical record of the descendants of Quartermaster George Colton By George Woolworth Colton, p. 97). Harry died in Apr 1912.
a. Mildred Sarah Hause was born on 15 Jul 1894 in New York; On 11 Mar 1914 she married Arthur Freestone (b. 1892). She died on 15 Jul 1938 in California. Her children:
b. Clifford I Hause was born on 6 Oct 1898 in New York; On 1 Jan 1918, he married Hazel McConnell (1899-1988) in New York. He then died on 15 Jul 1918 in Rochester, Monroe, New York.
Iva Lamont Hause (1874-1958), Nelson H Hause (1911-1960), his wife Marjorie and his daughter, Jacquie.
c. Nelson H Hause was born on 12 Jun 1911 in New York. He married Marjorie and died on 2 Feb 1960 in Rochester, Monroe, New York.
Elizabeth Mae Hause-Seager (1879-1975)
3. Elizabeth Lizzy Mae Hause was born on 14 Apr 1879 in Canoga, Seneca, New York. On 26 Jan 1898, she married Sidney John Seager (1878-1960) in Milo, Yates, New York (Source: A genealogical record of the descendants of Quartermaster George Colton, by George Woolworth Colton, p. 97). She died on 9 Feb 1975 in Penn Yan, Yates, New York. Her children:
a. Grace Mae Seager was born on 6 Jun 1898 in Fayette, Seneca, New York. She never married and died on 1 Jun 1975 in Penn Yan, Yates, New York.
b. Harold Jay Seager was born in 16 Aug 1900 in Penn Yan, Yates, New York. On 9 Aug 1921 he married Christina Inez Wayand (1898-1975) in Potter, Yates, New York. he died on 6 Nov 1973 in Penn Yan, Yates, New York. Their children:
i. Harold John Seager was born on 14 Sep 1926 in Penn Yan Village, Yates, New York. He married Eleanor Ruth Vogel (1924-2004). He died on 14 Oct 1983 in Clifton Springs, Ontario, New York.
iii. Ernestine Seager was born on 11 Jan 1930 in New York. She moved to Wichitaw, KS, and then to Florida.
c. Alice Lydia Seager was born on 1 Dec 1902 in Milo, Yates, New York. On 8 Aug 1922 she married Michael Alvah Wayand (1897-1974) in Penn Yan, Yates, New York. She died on 23 Dec 1998 in Decatur, Morgan, Alabama. They had the following children:
i. Pauline Elizabeth Wayand was born on 20 Oct 1924 in Potter, Yates, New York. She died on 18 Jan 1964 in Rochester, Monroe, New York.
ii. Ellis Andrew Wayand (1927-2012) married Grace Childress and had the following children:
2. Cindy Wayand married Lee Smith of Falkville, AL.
iv. Josephine Alice Wayand was born on 14 May 1936 in Potter, Yates, New York. On 8 Oct 1955 she married Robert Lee Ross (1932-1990) in Voak, Yates, NY. She died on 19 Jul 1982 in Geneva, Ontario, New York.
d. Edward H Seager was born on 11 Apr 1905 in Milo, Yates, New York. On 12 Dec 1927 he married Mildred Jane Cooper (1909-1972) at Flint Meth. Chur, Yates Co., New York. He died on 11 Sep 1933 in Penn Yan, Yates, New York. Their children:
i. Richard Sidney Seager was born on 21 May 1928 in Flint,Yates Co., New York. He died on 9 Jun 1979 in Painesville, Lake Co., Ohio.
e. Frances Marie Seager was born on 29 Jul 1907 in Penn Yan, Yates, New York. On 29 Jun 1927 she married William Riis (LaBelle) Larsen (1907-1993) at Milo Center, Yates Co., New York. She then married Milford (Pete) Daines (1894-1961) on 27 Oct 1950. He died, and on 26 Dec 1965 she married Thomas J. Wetmore in Geneva, New York. She died on 18 Dec 2002 in Geneva, Ontario, New York. Her childrten (with William Larsen):
1. William Chris Larsen was born on 2 Jul 1931 in Milo Center, Yates Co., New York. He died on 19 May 2009 in Clifton Springs, New York.
ii. Carl Sidney Larsen was born on 18 Jul 1932 in Milo Center, Yates Co., New York. He died on 27 Oct 1981 in Islamorada, Dade, Florida.
f. Nellie Jane Seager was born on 2 Sep 1909 in Penn Yan, Yates, New York. On 7 Aug 1927, she married ohn Albert Mortensen (1903-1974). She died 4 Dec 1989 in Penn Yan, Yates, New York. They had the following children:
i. Carlton John Mortensen was born on 19 Apr 1932 in Penn Yan, Yates, New York. He served as a PFC with the 11th Airborne Division. He died on 5 Jul 1964 in Franklin, Simpson, Kentucky.
g. Harry William Seager was born on 20 May 1912 in Penn Yan, Yates, New York. He married Reva Vivan Olney (1913-1989). Harry died on 17 Apr 1998 in Atlanta, Steuben, New York. They had the following children:
i. Barton Duane Seager was born on 10 Mar 1932 in Italy Valley, Yates Co, New York. He married Charlotte Duerr Reit (1934-2007). He died on 28 Nov 2009 in Smyrna, Chenango, New York.
Barton Duane Seager (1932-2009)
ii. Varian Dale Seager was born on 19 Nov 1939 in Italy Prattsburg Rd, Yates, New York. On 18 Aug 1973 he married Jean E, then they divorced on 6 Dec 1984. Varian died on 13 May 1989 in Carrollton, Dallas, Texas.
4. Alice May Hause was born on 14 May 1884 in Canoga, Seneca, New York. She died in 1957 in Seneca Falls, Seneca, New York.
Charles Henry Hause (1892-1941)
5. Charles Henry Hause was born on 19 Dec 1892 in Canoga, Seneca, New York. He died in 1941 in New York. He married Hazel E Steer (1893-1958), and they had a daughter:
a. Lois Elizabeth Hause was born on 11 May 1916 in New York. She married William Wooten Saile (1916-1987). She died on 4 Sep 1998 in St Petersburg, Pinellas, Florida.
6. Marie Hause was born in 1897 in Seneca, New York. In 1917, she married Lewis H Shoemaker (1894-1964) in Seneca County. She died on 17 Jan 1949 in Bath, Steuben, New York.
V. Cordelia Hause was born on 24 Nov 1846 in Canoga, Seneca, New York.
- ELECTA ANN HAUSE was born on 2 Jan. 1801 in Orange co., New York. She married John D. Williams, Jr., 0n August 25, 1818. According to an article from the "History of Seneca Co., NY," John D. Jr, the son of John D. Williams, was the first white person to be born on the Indian Reservation. The reservation was divided up for Rev. War veterans. They had the following children: Caroline, Mary, Roxanna, James, Maria and Frances Josephine Williams. Electa and John Jr. are buried at Canoga Cemetery, Canoga, Seneca Co., NY. There is a joint tombstone for the two, with the following: "Orange County was her birthplace, And Fayette was her station, Heaven is her dwelling place, And Christ is her salvation." The date of birth on her tombstone is 3 Jan 1801. She died on 25 Aug 1869 in Canoga, Seneca Co., N Y. The information on Birth, Marriage, and Death are taken from loose sheets inside Samuel Deal's Bible.
I. Caroline Hause Williams was born on 10 Jul 1819 in Canoga, Seneca, New York.
II. Mary Jane Williams was born on 10 Jan 1821 in Canoga, Seneca, New York. She died on 5 Feb 1906.
III. Roxanna Williams was born on 8 Oct 1825 in Canoga, Seneca, New York. On 22 Oct 1846 she married Samuel Byron Deal in Seneca, New York. She died on 4 Jan 1896 in Alamo, Kalamazoo, Michigan. She had the following children:
IV. James Martin Williams was born on 16 Oct 1832 in Canoga, Seneca, New York. He died on 18 Feb 1843.
V. Maria Louisa Williams was born on 22 Jul 1840 in Canoga, Seneca, New York. She died on 12 Feb 1918.
VI. Frances Josephine Williams was born on 4 Nov 1842 in Canoga, Seneca, New York. On 25 Feb 1862, she married Samuel Llewellyn Spaid (1841-1914) in Seneca, New York. She died on 27 Feb 1929 in Auburn, Cayuga, New York. She had the following children:
- AUGUSTUS HAUSE was born 14 Jan 1804 and married JANE JONES. They moved to Royalton, New York, near the Erie Canal and prospered on a large farm, thanks to the expanded exporting opportunities available because of the new canal. The tintype image at right is the only known photographic portrait of Augustus. See genealogy here.
- AZUBAH HAUSE was born on 28 March 1806. He died three days after his fifteenth birthday.
- BELINDA HAUSE was born on 28 April 1808. She married James Updike (b. 1 Oct 1803) on 21 Jan 1829: "MarriedOn Thursday last by Rev. LaneMr. James Updyke to Miss Belinda Hause both of Fayette." (From the Waterloo Gazette, published by George Lewis.) They had at least ten children (listed below). They moved to Tecumseh, Lenawee, Michigan, where Belinda died on 30 Nov 1873. Their children:
VIII. James Updike, Jr. From Portrait and biographical album of Lenawee County, Mich., containing full page portraits and biographical sketches of prominent and representative citizens of the county, together with portraits and biographies of all the governors of Michigan and of the presidents of the United States, published by Chapman Brothers, 1885, p. 249, 250: "JAMES UPDIKE, JR. The finely appointed little farm of eighty acres which occupies a portion of section 13, Franklin Township, became the property of the subject of this sketch in 1875, and he has since bent his energies to its improvement and cultivation, with most admirable results. The proprietor is a gentleman of more than ordinary intelligence and good taste, and while having a proper respect for the wherewithal to make life comfortable, has embellished his homestead with the various features which render it one of the most attractive spots in the township. The buildings are of modern style, the fields are fenced in a neat and substantial manner, and everything about the premises is kept in first-class order, nothing allowed to go to waste or become an offense to the eye. Around the residence are fruit and shade trees with a fine orchard in the rear, while the live stock and machinery give evidence of the care and thoughtfulness of the proprietor. Our subject, the son of one of the earliest pioneers of this county, first opened his eyes to the light in the primitive log cabin, which was the first dwelling of his parents in Tecumseh Township, and which was located upon land which had been but slightly cultivated before his father took possession of it. The latter, also James Updike, a native of New York State, was reared to manhood in his native county, and married Miss Belinda Hause, whose birthplace was not far from the early home of her husband. They continued in the Empire State until after the birth of three children, when they came to Michigan and located upon the land which they occupied until retiring from active labor. The parents of our subject came to this county prepared to meet hardships alnd difficulties, and proved themselves equal to the emergency. They succeeded in building up a comfortable home, occupying the log cabin but a few years and then removing into a good frame dwelling. The father was a man of excellent judgment, kind and generous as a neighbor and friend, and became known as one of the most thorough and successful farmers of Tecumseh Township. He is still living, and makes his home with his son Martin G., a resident of Tecumseh Township. He is n0ow over eighty-four years of age, having been born Oct. 1, 1803. During his residence of over forty years in this county he has made many warm friends, and has abundant reason to feel that his life and labors have not been in vain. The wife and mother departed this life at the homestead Nov. 30, 1873, when about sixty-five years old. Both parents were devoted members of the Methodist Episcopal Church in the days of their youth and strength, and the father is still identified with the old society. James Updike, Jr., was the eighth in a family of ten children, four sons and six daughters. Of these, three sons and two daughters are living and residents of this county. James, in conmmon with his brothers and sisters, remained under the home roof and availed himself of the instruction afforded at the district school. Upon reaching manhood he was married, April 2, 1873, at the home of the bride in Tecumnseh Township, to Miss Atlanta A., daughter of John T. and Caroline H. (Thompson) Bates. Mr. and Mrs. Bates were natives of New York State and were married in Cortland County, where their three children were born, the wife of our subject being the youngest of the family. Her birth took place Nov. 5, 1853, and she was fifteen years of age when her father came to Michigan and located on a farm in Tecumseh Township. The mother had died in Cortland County, N. Y., in 1863, at the age of thirty-seven years. Mr. Bates subsequently married Miss Salina Coyle, who accompanied him to the West and remained here until after the death of Mr. Bates, which took place in the village of Tecumseh, July 31, 1877, when he was sixty-three years of age; Mrs. B. then returned to New York and is now a resident of Homer, that State. Mr. Bates was a man of much force of character, and became quite prominent in the politics of the county. He affiliated with the Republican party and with his estimable wife, was a member in good standing of the Methodist Episcopal Church. The wife of our subject continued with her father until her marriage, in the meantime receiving a good education and developing those elements of character which have constituted her a true wife and mother. Of her union with Mr. Updike there have been born two sonsEarl B., Dec. 7, 1876, and Lucius C., Dec. 29, 1878. Mr. Updike, politically, uniformly votes the Republican ticket. By good management and industry he has accumulated a competence and has something laid by for a rainy day."
- ALANSON HAUSE was born on 12 March 1810 in Canoga, Seneca Co., New York. He married Margaret Van Fleet (who was about 15 years younger than him) and they had: Esther, Abram, Melissa, Albert, Theron, Emma, and Elda. He remained in Fayette and farmed the family lands, still working there during the 1880 census, and died on 12 Dec 1880. They are buried is buried in Canoga Cemetery, Fayette, Seneca County, New York. Section 5 Plot 72. Their children:
II. Lansing Hause is buried in Canoga Cemetery, Fayette, Seneca County, New York. Section 5 Plot 72.
III. Abram B Hause was born in 1840, in Canoga, Seneca County, New York. He died in 1842, in Canoga, Seneca County, New York. He is buried in Canoga Cemetery, Fayette, Seneca County, New York. Section 5 Plot 72.
IV. Melissa J Hause was born in 1843. She died on 22 Mar 1897 in Fayette, Seneca County, New York, and is buried in Canoga Cemetery, Fayette, Seneca County, New York. Section 5 Plot 72.
V. Esther A Hause was born on 23 Jan 1844 in New York. On 18 Apr 1867, she married John R Brown (25 Dec 1835- 20 Oct 1874) and they are buried in Canoga Cemetery, Fayette, Seneca County, New York. Section 5 Plot 218. She had a son:
1. Asa J Brown was born on 25 Jan 1868 in Canoga, Seneca County, New York. He died on 30 Jun 1895 and is buried in Canoga Cemetery, Fayette, Seneca County, New York. Section 5 Plot 218.
2. Della Brown was born on 9 Mar 1870 in Canoga, Seneca County, New York, and died on 12 Jun 1871.
3. Stella E Brown was born on 28 Oct 1872 in Canoga, Seneca County, New York. She married J. Frank Marsden on 18 Sep 1896. They had a son:
4. Annis G Brown was born on 15 Aug 1874 in Canoga, Seneca County, New York. She married J.D. Boardman on 18 Sep 1895. They had a daughter:
VI. Albert Elisha Hause was born on 30 Oct 1849 in Fayette, Seneca County, New York. He died on 22 Dec 1912 in Fayette, Seneca County, New York. He married Henrietta Lasher (1851-1932). They are buried at Canoga Cemetery, Fayette, Seneca County, New York, Section 1 Lot 339. Albert and Henrietta they had a son:
1. Henry A. Hause was born on 10 Feb 1887 in Fayette, Seneca County, New York. He died in Sep 1978 in Fayette, Seneca County, New York. He married Minerva J. Weaver (1886-1960) and they are buried in Canoga Cemetery, Fayette, Seneca County, New York, Section 1 Plot 339. They had a son:
a. John H Hause was born on 27 Jun 1917. He died on 8 Mar 1996 in Fayette, Seneca County, New York. He's buried in Canoga Cemetery, Fayette, Seneca County, New York, Section 1 Plot 339.
VII. Theron Jacob Hause was born in 1852 in New York. He died in 1858 in Fayette, Seneca County, New York, and is buried in Canoga Cemetery, Fayette, Seneca County, New York. Section 5 Plot 72.
VIII. Emma E Hause was born in 1856. She died in 1879 in Seneca County, New York. She is is buried in Canoga Cemetery, Fayette, Seneca County, New York. Section 5 Plot 72
IX. Florence E Hause (1861-1933) married (?) Van Fleet and died in Ontario, New York.
- JOHN HAUSE, JR. was born 12 March 1812 in Canoga, Seneca Co., New York. That's right, ANOTHER John! He married Belinda Burtless on 31 Dec 1835 in Waterloo, Seneca Co., and had four children, listed below. The family moved to Lenawee Co., Michigan in about 1835 with John's cousin, Stanford Hause. In the census' in 1870 and 1880, they lived on a farm in Leoni, Jackson, Michigan. He died on 23 Dec 1881 and is buried at Riverside Cemetery, in Clinton, Lenawee Co., MI. See a genealogy from his family here. (.PDF file; Thanks to Christopher Hause.)
I. Esther Ann Hause was born on 1837 in New York. On 30 Dec 1858 she was married to Silas J. Madden (b. 1835). They had a son:
II. James "JB" Burtless Hause was born on 16 Sep 1839 in Michigan. He died on 9 Mar 1925. JB purchased this home as a 2-room house and completed it by 1878. It remained in the family until 2007, at the death of the very last Hause in Clinton, MI, named Dorothy E. Smedley Hause (1916-2007). The attic was haunted and it was at one time a funeral home. On 13 Apr 1864 he was married to Mary Elizabeth Roff (b. 1844). They had the following children:
James Burtless Hause (1839-1925) and granddaughter Mary Elizabeth Hause.
1. James Dwight Hause (1866-1946) worked with his father at Hause and Son, Furniture and Undertaking. He was also a family genealogist who traced the Hause family back to Germany at the start of the 20th Century, with the help of cousin Alfred B. Hause (b. 1858) from Seneca County, New York. James married Mary Eva Davis (1870-1963) on 03 Jan 1900 in Franklin, Lenawee, Michigan. They're buried at Riverside Cemetery, Clinton, Lenawee County, Michigan, Plot: Sec K Lot 53. They had a son:
a. Charles Davis Hause was born in 1907. He married Leona E. Hause (1909 - 27 Jul 1976). Charles died on 5 Feb 1951 in Clinton, Lenawee County, Michigan. They're buried at Riverside Cemetery, Clinton, Lenawee County, Michigan. Plot: Sec K Lot 28.
2. Howard Roff Hause (1868-1946) married Emma Elizabeth Hause (1875-1974), daughter of Lyman E. Hause (1843-1910) and Emma E. Pocklington Hause (1844-1875), another line of the Hause family descending from their common ancestor, William Hause (1750-1818).
a. Neil Roff Hause was born on 13 Apr 1898 in Michigan. He married Edna M (b. 1907) and they had two children, listed below. He died on 11 Jan 1980 in Palm Beach, Palm Beach, Florida, and is buried at Riverside Cemetery, Clinton, Lenawee County, Michigan, Sec K Lot 53. His children:
3. Jane Louise Hause was born on 13 Jul 1877 in Clinton, Lenawee, Michigan. On 17 Jun 1905, she married Clarence Leander Hause (1879-1959), the son of Lyman Hause and his second wife, Caroline Kniffen (1839-1923). She died on 13 Jul 1962 in Clinton, Lenawee, Michigan. They had a son:
Jane Louise Hause (1877-1962).
i. John Sanford Hause was born on 13 Jan 1908 in Clinton, Lenawee, Michigan. He married Dorothy Elizabeth Smedley (1916-2007) and they had four children, listed below. He died on 16 Jun 1976 in Clinton, Lenawee, Michigan, leaving:
III. John Hause was born on 1 Dec 1842 in Michigan. On 14 Aug 1872 he was married to Frances C. McAllister (b. 1846). They had a son:
1. Claude M. Hause was born on 22 Mar 1878 in Michigan. He died on 16 Dec 1963 in Los Angeles, California. He married Hattie B Jackel (b. 1885), and they are buried at Rose Hills Memorial Park, Whittier, Los Angeles County, California, Terrace of Memories Sec. B Lot/Burial 369. They had a son:
a. Claude McAllister Hause was born on 29 Aug 1919 in Detroit, Wayne, Michigan. He married Mary Louise Kremer. Claude died on 4 Jul 2003 in Brea, Orange, California. On 17 Jul 2003, Senator Ackerman moved that the California Senate be adjourned in memory of Claude Hause of Brea, until 21 Jul 2003.Claude had the following children:
i. John Hause was born on 15 Dec 1958 in Pasadena, Los Angeles, California. He married Tracey Riether and had the following child:
1. Jacob Evan Hause was born on 20 Jan 1998 in Pasadena, Los Angeles, California.
ii. Christopher Robert Hause was born on 14 Oct 1962 in Pasadena, Los Angeles, California. He married Pamela Sue Tillery (b. 05 Sep 1959 in Bellflower, Los Angeles, California) on 13 Jul 1985 in La Habra, Orange, Callifornia. They had the following children:
1. Rebecca Ashley Hause was born on 27 Jan 1988 in Placentia, Orange, California.
2. Rachel Sarah Hause was born on 23 Feb 1993 in Brea, Orange, California.
IV. Sarah Amanda Hause was born in May 1851 in Michigan. She married Henry H. Millard (1843 - 22 Jun 1933) on 5 Oct 1871. They are buried together at Woodland Cemetery, Jackson, Jackson County, Michigan. They had the following children:
1. Floyd H. Millard was born on 17 Feb 1874. He died on 4 Mar 1952 when he was struck by car. He's buried at Woodland Cemetery, Jackson, Jackson County, Michigan.
2. Ella A. Millard (1880-1948) is buried at Woodland Cemetery, Jackson, Jackson County, Michigan.
- CAROLINE LOUISE HAUSE was born on 18 Feb 1814 in Canoga, Seneca Co., New York. She married John Storm Gage in 26 Aug 1844 and had four kids: Annis, Cyrus, Ira, and Ina Gage. The last of John's kids to be alive, Caroline chronicled the Hause genealogy for the family, then died on 24 Aug 1916 in Dowiginac, Michigan.
I. Annis A Gage was born on 15 Mar 1849. She married Augustus C Jewell (26 Mar 1872 - 17 Jan 1899). She died on 19 Jun 1895.
II. Cyrus J Gage was born on 26 Jul 1850. He married Emma J Nash on 5 Oct 1871. Cyrus died on 19 Aug 1887.
2. Edna A Gage was born on 4 Mar 1881. She married Robert W Meaby on 28 Feb 1899. Their son:
- LOISA HAUSE was born on 11 Feb 1816, but died before her first birthday.
- FANNIE JANE HAUSE was born on 21 Nov 1817 in Canoga, Seneca Co., New York. She married Nathan C. Roberts and had a daughter, but Fannie died at age 21. Nathan was a butcher. He remarried and was living with his son-in-law, Austin Emens, in the Fayette 1880 census.
- LOUISA M. HAUSE was born on 10 Feb 1819 in Seneca Co., New York. She married Gideon S. Wilbur of Washington, Dutchess, New York, on 15 Feb. 1843. He was superintendent of the poor for about fifteen years and was deputy sheriff for two years. "The death of Gideon Wilber occurred when he had reached the venerable age of eighty-five years. In his family were five children, one daughter and four sons, all of whom are living with one exception." (Source: The History of Cass County, by Glover.) Among the children were: Francis, Theodore and Lloyd. In the 1870 census, they lived on a two hundred and sixty acre farm next to Theodore and his wife, Fannie, in La Grange, Cass County, Michigan. Louisa died on 11 July 1902. (Source: The Wildbores in America. A Family Tree, 5 volumes, by John R. Wilbor, Benjamin F. Wilbour. 1938, reprinted 1998.)
2. Frances Caroline Wilber was born in Jan 1845 in Seneca, New York. She married Jud T. Wares. She died in 1920 in Cassopolis, Cass, Michigan. Her child:
3. Theodore Wilbur was born in 1846; He married Fanny (1848-1912). He died in 1911 in Michigan, and is buried at Riverside Cemetery, Dowagiac, Cass County, Michigan.
Esther Ketchum Hause's Will and Codicil
Land at Hause Point
Hause Point Cemetery
Seneca County map
Hause-Gage genealogy letter: 1,