"Crompton" actually started out as "Crampton," a surname that is English in origin. It was first found in Cumberland, in the boarder area between England and Scotland, where the family held a family seat from very early times. The family Blazon of Arms is Sable, an esquire's helmet proper between two lions passant, guardant in pale or, in chief, a rose argent seeded or barbed vert, a canton quarterly or and gules in the first a lion passant sable. The Crest features a demi lion rampant or holding between his paws a helmet close proper. The family Motto, originally a war cry or slogan, is "Fortum posce animum," meaning, "Ask for a brave heart." (This Coat of Arms was actually granted on 14 Apr 1808 to the descendants of Rev. John Crampton Archdeacon of Tuam, born in 1706, after our ancestors had left England.)
Crampton Settlers in the United States in the 17th Century include: Samuel Crampton who settled in Maine in 1614; John Crampton, who arrived in Virginia in 1622-1623; Robert Crampton, who arrived in Virginia in 1666; and Thomas Crampton, aged 22, landed in Maryland in 1684. Unfortunately, we aren't sure from which line our ancestor sprang.
The Crompton family in our lineage can be traced back to Norwalk Township, Fairfield County, Connecticut.¹ Norwalk was purchased in 1640 by Roger Ludlow. The original purchase included the land between the Norwalk and Saugatuck rivers, at a distance of a "day's walk" from the sea. Norwalk was chartered as a town on 11 Sep 1651.
Our ancestor was JOHN CRAMPTON, was born in 1640 in Norwalk, and died in 1683 in the same village. He married HANNAH ANDREWS (born in 1641 in Fairfield, died 08 Oct 1697 in Norwalk). She was the daughter of FRANCIS ANDREWS or ANDRUS (1623-1663) and ANNA SMITH (1625-1662). Francis' name is on the Founder's Monument in the Ancient Burying Ground at Hartford. In his will, Francis bequeathed to "John Crampton, husband of daughter Hannah," (undetermined) rods of lands in his homestead lot, next his house, "provided he fence it all around with a five-rail fence."
John and Hannah had the following children:
CHILDREN OF JOHN CRAMPTON AND HANNAH ANDREWS
|JOHN CRAMPTON II was born in 1656 in Norwalk, Fairfield, Connecticut. On 8 Oct 1676 he married SARAH ROCKWELL (b. 1653), and they had the following children: Sarah (b. 1679), Joseph (1680-1720), Abigail (b. 1681), John (b. 1682) and Samuel Crompton (b. 1684). John died before 1687 in Norwalk. (Source: Connecticut, Town Marriage Records, pre-1870, in the Barbour Collection²).|
|HANNAH CRAMPTON was born on 6 Jun 1662 in Norwalk, Fairfield, Connecticut. On 5 Mar 1679, she married Benjamin Scribner (d. 1704). (Source: Connecticut, Town Marriage Records, pre-1870, in the Barbour Collection²) Hannah died on 12 Apr 1743 in Norwalk. In his will, grandfather Francis Andrews gave her ten shillings.|
|JOSEPH CRAMPTON was born in 1662 in Norwalk, Fairfield, Connecticut. He died in 1719 in Ridgefield, Fairfield, Connecticut, where he was one of the original Colonial landowners. (Source: Teller, Daniel W.: The history of Ridgefield, Conn. : from its first settlement to the present time. Danbury Conn.: T. Donovan, 1878. Pages 3-5; click on image, at right) On 29 Dec 1714 he married Patience Canfield (b: 8 Oct 1695) in Ridgefield, and they had the following children: Mary (b: 5 Nov 1715), Sarah (b: 5 May 1717), and Abigail Crampton (b: 20 Aug 1719).|
|NATHANIEL CRAMPTON was born in 1664 in Norwalk, Fairfield, Connecticut, and died on 13 Mar 1693 in Wethersfield, Hartford, Connecticut.|
Their son, JOHN CRAMPTON II (born in 1656 in Norwalk, died before 1687 in Norwalk) was a soldier in King Philip's War, and was granted three acres of land in Norwalk for his military service in 1679, and again in May, 1681, when he was granted eight acres and six rods of land lying on the east branch of the Norwalk River.
On 8 Oct 1676, he married SARAH ROCKWELL (b. circa 1657, in Stamford, Fairfield, Connecticut; d. 1683 in Norwalk) the daughter of JOHN ROCKWELL of Stamford and ELIZABETH WEED, and granddaughter of JONAS WEED, an original settler of Stamford. John and Elizabeth Rockwell moved to Rye, a Connecticut settlement just down the coast (now in Westchester, New York), in 1669, and the next generation in our line would follow them. That generation included:
SAMUEL CROMPTON³ was born in Norwalk on Christmas day, the 25th of December in 1684. He married a girl named MARY STUDWELL (b. 10 Jun 1700), and they lived in Rye. On 16 Feb 1740, they sold land in Greenwich, Connecticut to her brother, Joseph "Stedwell," and her sisters, Martha (wife of David Lyon), and Johanna (wife of George Kniffen, Jr.). Mary's grandfather, THOMAS STUDWELL (1620-1670), was considered one of the founders of Rye, having purchased it from the Mohegan Indians, with John Coe and Peter Disbrow. Living in a new area on the border between New York and Connecticut, records of this family are scarce, and we only know of one child from Samuel and Mary:
CHILDREN OF JOHN CRAMPTON II AND SARAH ROCKWELL
|SARAH CRAMPTON was born on 10 Sep 1679 in Norwalk, Fairfield, Connecticut.|
|JOSEPH CRAMPTON was born in 1680 in Norwalk. On 29 Dec 1714, he married Patience Canfield (1695-1720) and they had the following children: Mary, Sarah (b. 1717), and Abigail Crampton (1719-1780). In 1716, Joseph Crampton of Ridgefield was chosen as guardian by Timothy Canfield, son or Ebenezer Canfield of Norwalk. (SOURCE: Abstract of probate records at Fairfield, Connecticut, down to 1721, published by the Allen County Public Library Genealogy Center, p.100, 101) Joseph died in 1720.|
|ABIGAIL CROMPTON was born on 9 Aug 1681 in Norwalk Township, Fairfield County, Connecticut.|
|JOHN CROMPTON was born on 7 Jan 1682 in Norwalk Township, Fairfield County, Connecticut.|
|SAMUEL CROMPTON was born on 25 Dec 1684 in Norwalk, Fairfield, Connecticut. (Source: Connecticut, Town Marriage Records, pre-1870, in the Barbour Collection²) He married MARY STUDWELL (b. 10 Jun 1700), the daughter of Joseph Studwell (b. @ 1650) and Mary Lyon. (Source: Ancestry of William Spingler Mitchell, Cornelius von Erden Mitchell, John Van Beuren Mitchell, by Cornelius von Erden Mitchell; Edited by H. Minot Pitman, F.A.S.G. 1967. Pages 407, 408.)|
Samuel and Mary had a daughter, JOHANNA CROMPTON, on the sixth of October in 1725. She married JONATHAN WOOD (1720-1792) from New Hempstead, and they resided in an area of Orange County settled by Quaker families, called Ladentown (Source: The New York Genealogical and Biographical Record, Volume 125, page 178). Ladentown was a hamlet in Haverstraw, Orange County, New York, named after Michel Leyden (Laden), a nail cutter in the Ramapo works who owned the local trading store.⁴
CHILDREN OF SAMUEL CROMPTON AND MARY STUDWELL
|JOHANNA CROMPTON was born on 6 Oct 1725 in Rye. In 1746, she married JONATHAN WOOD (1720-1792) and they lived near Haverstraw, Orange, New York. They had the following children: Joseph (1748-1835), Mary (b. 1749), Elizabeth (b. 1750), Jonathan (1752-1795), Martha (1753-1822), Susanna (1757-1833), Samuel (b. 1760), Eleanor (b. 1762), Jonas (b. 1764), John (b. 1766) and Sarah Wood (b. 1769). Johanna died in 1769 in Ramapo, Rockland, New York. See an atDNA genetic match to our line by clicking on the image at right.|
This area of Orange County became a flashpoint during the mid-18th Century as radicals and loyalists began fighting over the direction of colonial New York, eventually leading to war, and independence from Great Britain.
Jonathan and Johanna had eleven children, several of whom fought with Jonathan and his son-in-law, William E. Hause, in Wood's Company for Albert Pawling's Regiment of Orange County Militia during the American Revolution:
CHILDREN OF JONATHAN WOOD AND JOHANNA CROMPTON
|JOSEPH WOOD, b: 20 Jun 1748 in Tappan, Rockland, New York. He fought in the Revolutionary War under Col. Ann Hawkes Hay with Jonathan and brothers-in-law William Conklin and William Hause; He first married ESTHER CONKLIN (10 Nov 1758 - 1791) in 1776 and they had the following children: Mary (b. 1777), Joanna (b. 1778), Jonathan (b. 1778), Sarah (b. 1781), Nelly (b. 1783), Martha (1785-1857), and John (b. 1788). Esther died in 1791 and Joseph then married married SARAH SECOR (b. 6 Jun 1771) and they had two sons: Jonas S. (b: 20 Jan 1801) and Jacob (b: 16 Feb 1803). Joseph died in 1835 in Ladentown, Rockland, New York.|
|MARY WOOD was born in Rockland County in 1749. No further information.|
|ELIZABETH WOOD was born in Rockland County in 1750. No further information.|
|JONATHAN WOOD, JR. was born on 10 Aug 1752 in Orange, New York. He married Jane Wilson (1763-1834) and they had the following children: Elizabeth (1789-1863), Israel Rickey (1791-1868), John (1792-1838) and Deborah Wood (1795-1876). Johnathan died on 11 Jun 1795 in Goshen, Orange, New York.|
|MARTHA WOOD was born on 4 May 1753 in Tappan, Rockland Co., New York. She married WILLIAM HAUSE (1750-1818) and lived in the Ramapo area between Warwick and Haverstraw in Orange County, where William fought in the Revolutionary War. Their children are listed below. After 1800, William and Martha sold their land in Ramapo (now Tuxedo) to their daughter, Johanna, and moved across the state, to Wayne, Steuben County (now Dundee, Yates County), where they are buried today. Click on the image at right to see her grave on Hause Hill.|
|SUSANNA WOOD, b: 15 Jan 1757. She married WILLIAM CONKLIN, SR. (1752-1816), brother of Esther Conklin-Wood, and fought alongside Jonathan and brothers-in-law Joseph Wood and William Hause in the 2nd Regiment of the New York Militia, out of Haverstraw. They had the following children: Joshua (1776-1845), Mary (b. 1778), Johannah (b. 1780), William (1781-1843), Jonathan (1783-1815), Sarah (b. 1785), Susannah (1787-1834), Martha (b. 1788), Esther (1792-1872), Joseph (b. 1794), Edmond (b. 1797), and Smith Conklin (1799-1866). She died on 2 Feb 1833. See a Genetic Match from Ancestry.com here. At right is a page from the Family Bible of her grandson, Elias Conklin Pratt (1833-1898).³|
|SAMUEL WOOD was born on 29 Apr 1760 in Orange County, New York. On 15 May 1784 a Samuel Wood registered to marry in Kakkiat, and on 31 May 1784 he married Vrowitje De Morest in Schraalenburgh, Bergen, New Jersey. (SOURCE: New Jersey State Archives. New Jersey, Published Archives Series, First Series. Trenton, New Jersey: John L Murphy Publishing Company, and Dutch Reformed Church Records from New York and New Jersey. Holland Society of New York, New York)|
|ELEANOR (ELANDOR) WOOD b: 1762.|
|JONAS WOOD b: 1 Jul 1764.|
|JOHN WOOD b: 11 Aug 1766.|
|SARAH WOOD b: 26 Jan 1769.|
JOHN CRAMPTON (1640-1683) married HANNAH ANDREWS (1641-1697) and they begat...
JOHN CRAMPTON II (1656-1687) who married SARAH ROCKWELL (1653-1683) and begat...
SAMUEL CROMPTON (b. 25 Dec 1684) who married MARY STUDWELL (b. 1700) and they begat...
JOHANNA CROMPTON (1725-1769) who married JONATHAN WOOD (1720-1792) and begat...
MARTHA WOOD (1753-1822) who married WILLIAM HAUSE (1750-1818) and begat...
JOHN HAUSE (1773-1844) who married ESTHER KETCHAM (1779-1853) and begat...
AUGUSTUS HAUSE (1804-1875) who married JANE JONES (1802-1850) and begat...
LABAN HAUSE (1831-1906) who married MELISSA SANDERSON (1839-1921) and begat...
FRANK HAUSE (1867-1951) who married FLADELLA RAYMOND (1869-1961) and begat...
CARLISLE HAUSE (1891-1972) who married MARJORIE MARCHANT (1892-1939) who begat...
CARLETON MARCHANT HAUSE, SR. (1917-1983) who married JEANNE BRUNNER (1918-2000) and begat...
CARLETON MARCHANT HAUSE, JR. (b. 1939) who married MARTHA WENK (b. 1940) and begat...
JEFF (who married LORI ANN DOTSON), KATHY (who married HAL
LARSEN), ERIC (who married MARY
MOONSAMMY), and MICHELE HAUSE (who married JOHN SCOTT HOUSTON).
TOP IMAGE: Woodcut by John Warner Barber from about 1840, showing Old Town Hall and Town Green, listed on the National Register of Historic Places in the United States of America. Its reference number is 71000897.
NOTES ON THIS PAGE:
¹The traditional American song "Yankee Doodle" has Norwalk-related origins. During the French and Indian War, a regiment of Norwalkers lead by Colonel Thomas Fitch arrived at Fort Crailo, NY. The British regiment began to mock and ridicule the rag-tag Connecticut troops, who had only chicken feathers for a uniform. Richard Shuckburgh, a British army surgeon, added words to a popular tune of the time, Lucy Locket (e.g., "stuck a feather in his cap and called it macaroni," macaroni being the London slang at the time for a foppish dandy).
²The Lucious Barnes Barbour Collection, well known to the Connecticut researcher, serves as an index to and an abstract of most pre-1850 Connecticut vital records. It is housed in the Connecticut State Library, but microfilm copies of it are widely available. Begun after establishment of the State Department of Health, Barbour's project was to abstract and collect all town vital records up to about 1850. There are two formats to the material. The first is a statewide paper slip alphabetical index containing a complete abstract of each vital record taken from the books in each town. The card file holding this index takes up an entire wall at the Connecticut State Library. The second format is the group of separately bound volumes of abstracts of vital records for most towns, prepared from the slips.
³The alternate surname, "Crompton," is English in origin (since we don't know John's lineage, it's hard to say which is correct). It's a variation on "Crunpton," a habitational name from Crompton in Lancashire, named with an Old English crumbe (river bend) + tun (enclosure, settlement). The Coat of Arms features a red shield with a wavy gold fess between three gold lions. The Crest features a wyvern (or wivern) which is a mythical beast with the upper part of a dragon, two legs and a body that curves into the tail of a serpent. It symbolizes valor and protection. Also, the wyvern was supposed to have a keen sense of sight, which enabled it to guard treasures. The bearer of this symbol may have been a keen defender, or was thought to have slain a wyvern. It is also a symbol of vengeance or perseverance.
In Lancashire, the Cromptons were seated from very ancient times, some say well before the Norman Conquest and the arrival of Duke William at Hastings in 1066 AD. The family motto on the Coat of Arms is "Love and Loyalty."
Some of the first settlers of this name in the American Colonies were: Henry Crompton, who settled in Virginia in 1660; and Margaret Crompton, who settled in the Barbados in 1663.
⁴In 1836, Mr. Leyden sold his store to John J. Secor. Today it is located in the center of a triangle between Haverstraw, Pomona and Suffern, two miles west of Mount Ivy, and located north-northwest of New York City.
LITERATURE ON THE WOOD/CROMPTON FAMILY:
"English orgins of the Mitchell, Wood, Lum, and Holstead Families" by Matthew Wood, Pub. in New York Genealogy Historial Society
"History of Thomas Sanford" by G. F. Sanford, Vol. 1
"History of Rockland Co., N.Y." by David Cole, published in 1884
"Rockland County: Century of History" by Linda Zimmerman, published by the Historical Society of Rockland County, May 2002.
"Rockwell Immigrants to 17th Century America," by Ken Rockwell, Director of the Rockwell Family Foundation, 28 Jan 1998
"Genealogy of the families of John Rockwell, of Stamford, Conn., 1641, and Ralph Keeler, of Hartford, Conn., 1639" by James Boughton, 1903. In the years since publication, new discoveries have revealed a mistake, due to a misunderstanding of the early records and an incorrect oral tradition: namely, that John had a son John, who in turn was the father of other known Rockwells. Since that time, however, evidence has surfaced which eliminates the need for this extra generation. John and Elizabeth moved in 1669 to Rye, a Connecticut settlement just down the coast that is now in New York. John died there in 1673. A probate record relating to his land was filed at Stamfordwhich Phoenix and Boughton mistook as evidence for the death of "John, Jr." Further probate records led Boughton to assign 1676the year of Elizabeth's deathas the year of John's death as well. Therefore, those using this book should treat the children ascribed to "John Jr." as children of the first (and only) John Rockwell of Stamford.
"Steadwell, Stedwell, Studwell," by Marion J. Stedwell. Heritage Books, 1996.