Their son JACQUES LOUIS JOUIEL was born in 1640 in Périgueux (the place gave its name to a Paleolithic cultural phasethe Perigordianwhich is a remote connection to the mtdna roots of his future wife²). Jacques learned his father's trade and arrived in New France (Canada) in 1656 as a servant to the Jesuits.
Jacques settled in Trois-Rivières (Three Rivers), located on the north shore of the Saint Lawrence River at the confluence with the Saint-Maurice River. Jacques the settlement's unofficial gunsmith, as well as producing metal tools for the settlers and accompanying the Jesuit priests on their missionary expeditions into the interior. He evidently learned several Indian languages in the process. On 16 October 1658 he signed a contract in Québec with Antoine Boesme, master gunsmith, to serve as his apprentice for a year. Jacques would be provided with sustenance, lodging, and the necessary tools; in return he received a third of the profits. He was however free to depart on expeditions whenever the Jesuit father Lemoyne would require his services.
In June 1659, his apprenticeship completed, Jacques worked briefly in Batiscan as a blacksmith, then began working at the iron works being established at St. Maurice. By the census of 1666, Jacques was back in Trois-Rivières, smithing but also trying his hand in the lucrative fur trade, taking him west. He is listed as attending the ceremony held with twenty Indian nations at Sault-Ste-Marie whereby the King of France took possession of the western territories.
Marie Gertrude Moral was 18 when she married Jacques. It is speculated that Marie's mother, Marie Marguerie, had objected to the union, possibly believing her daughter was marrying beneath her station to a man who was interested in her potential wealth. In the marriage contract of 2 November it was recorded that the husband brought 1500 livres to the marriage, while the bride brought 600 livres (the dowry from her father), and the title of Lady, which she inherited from her mother. The contract was witnessed by several relatives and friends: Louis Godefroy, attorney of the King at Trois-Rivières, and one of the co-founders of the place together with Marie's first husband, Jacques Hertel; Etienne de Tonnancourt; Jacques de Labadie, Sergeant of the garrison of Trois-Rivières; Joseph Petit; and Jean Crevier, Jacques' future brother-in-law, and Seur of Saint-François-du-Lac. They had the following children:
In a series of complex land deals between his father-in-law, Quentin Moral, and his brothers-in-law, Jacques bought and sold land in the area and moved the family to St-Francois-du-Lac sometime between 1683 and 1685. This began with a transaction on 5 September 1680 between Jacques and his brother-in-law Joseph Petit. Twelve days later Antoine Dubois made a kind of will, pledging any land he might own and all of his belongings to his father-in-law Quentin Moral in the event of his death. This was evidently some kind of surety to allow the transfer of Jacques' land adjacent to Moral to go through after all. On the same day Jacques rented his blacksmith equipment to an Urbain Beaudry. On 23 March 1681, Quentin Moral, acting as attorney for Jacques, sued Joseph Petit for payment of 144 livres due from the transaction of the previous September. Finally, on 23 March 1683, Jacques leased for one year, to another brother-in-law, Pierre Forcier, "All the workable lands belonging to him in the Lordship St. Francois". Evidently he already had property there but was not yet ready to move onto it.
By 1685, as attested in a deed involving sale of land below Platon, Jacques and his family were settled in at Saint-François-du-Lac³ with his brother-in-law Jean Crevier. The baptisms of his children in 1694 and 1696 had to be conducted in Sorel since the church in St-Francois was destroyed in a raid by the Iroquois during which Jean Crevier was captured. He was tortured, ransomed, but died of his wounds. On the 4 July 1698, Jacques' sons Jacques and Jean were granted some land in Saint-François-du-Lac by their uncle's son. The Joyel family became well established there. Jacques died at the age of 76 on 26 March 1716. Marie Gertrude Moral du St. Quentin survived him by twenty years, dying at age 78 at Saint-François-du-Lac on 28 August 1736.
The "Desmarais" surname is French. French surnames were first used in the 11th century to distinguish people who had the same given name; however, surnames didn't become common for all until centuries later. The Desmarais surname was first found in Cambray, Normandy where ancestors of the family belonged to the house of Bousis. It's a habitational name, derived the old French words mareis or maresc, meaning "marsh." The French prefix "De" was attached, meaning 'son of'. The Family Coat of Arms is red with a silver cross moline behind a black bend charged with three silver escallops.
Our line of this family can be traced back to RENÉ ABRAHAM DESMARAIS, born in 1645 in Poitiers, a city located on the Clain river in west-central France.
¹Until the late 1900s, church registers in Quebec served as civil and vital records in that province. Throughout the years a second copy of church records, from all denominations, was sent annually to the appropriate courthouse. During the 1940s the vital record collections in courthouses throughout Quebec were filmed by the Institut Généalogique Drouin. The filming of vital records continued for some areas up through the 1960s. Consequently, this filmed set of records became known as the Drouin Collection. The majority of the records in this database cover the time period 1621-1947, as most of the filming was done in the 1940s. The records that were filmed up through the 1960s are also included in this database, although they are very few in number. These records that were filmed later cover the years 1948-1967.
²Based on present evidence, 140,000 people in the United States, and many times that number in Canada, are direct matrilineal descendants of Marie Marguerie, the founder of the 'Marie W' haplotype lineage in the Americas. Marie has been identified as one of 262 Filles a Marier or "marriageable girls" who emigrated to New France between 1634 and 1663. They were recruited by religious groups or reputable persons who had to guarantee their good conduct. Most were from rural peasant families. Unlike the later Filles du Roi who emigrated after 1663, the Filles a Marier were not recruited by the state; did not receive a dowry from the King; and were promised nothing but the possibility of a better life. However Marie's story was not that of a typical Filles a Marier, and aside from the date of her migration to Canada, she probably does not fit into this category. Her father was a man of substance, a bourgeoisie, an oar maker and maritime merchant in Rouen. Given the fates of his children, it is likely her father was a member of the Compagnie des Marchands de Rouen et de Saint-Malo, formed by Samuel Champlain in 1614 to colonize Québec and corner the American fur trade. Marie's brother Francois had already gone to Canada and his exploits were legendary. He was regarded by the First Nations as the European who had most thoroughly learned their language and customsthey called him the 'double man'he could pass as European or Indigenous. (The Descendants of Marie Marguerie; W3a2 Haplogroup HVR1)
³Saint-François-du-Lac is a community in the Nicolet-Yamaska Regional County Municipality of Québec, Canada, located at the confluence of the Saint Lawrence and Saint-François rivers, at the edge of Lac Saint-Pierre (Hence its name, "Saint-Francis of the lake"). Historically, the village of Saint-François-du-Lac has been referred to as St-Francois, St-Francois-des-Pres, and St-Francois-Xavier. It was founded as a Jesuit mission village during the colonial years. The community was called St.-Francois-de-Sales or Odanak. In 1687, construction of Fort Saint-Francois (or Fort Crevier), a wooden fortified fort, was started as protection against the Iroquois. Between 1689 and 1693, Fort Crevier was raided by the Iroquois and suffered significant damage, having to be rebuilt. Soon Indians from the community, which included refugees from wars with English colonists, participated in many raids, some of them organized and led by French military men, against English colonial settlements in New England in the aftermath of King Philip's War.)
TOP IMAGE: Périgueux, Dordogne, Aquitaine, France.