The word "Mor-gan" is a Cymric derivative, meaning one born by the sea (muir, sea ; gin, begotten). It's one of the oldest Welsh names on record, stretching back to the legends of King Arthur: The story goes that after a defeat in battle with a local potentate, Arthur removed his queen for safety to the coast of what is now the county of Glamorganshire, in Wales. Her child, Arthur's younger son, was born there and named Mor-gan—the man 'born by the sea'—and from that they named the land Gla-mor-gan, meaning the country of the man born by the sea.¹
   Arthurian Legend is rooted in Wales: The Round Table was supposedly at Cærleon on the Usk, and the village of Cærfyrddin (Caerfyrddin), still exists today. Merlin the wizard is said to have been born there in the sixth century. But most importantly to us, it's the hometown of the earliest-known Morgan ancestor. In fact, the Morgans in our lineage actually came to America from Glamorganshire, Wales, in the 1600's.
   A thousand years ago in NON-fictional history, Cærfyrddinshire was inhabited by a tribe who the Romans called the Demetæ. (Whatever they called themselves has been lost through time.) The chieftain of this tribe was named CADIVOR-FAWR. He controlled the land of Dyfed (now called Pembrokeshire). His wife was ELEN, daughter and heiress of another chieftain, LLWCH LLAWEN. Cadivor died in the year 1089 and was buried at Carfyrddin.
   Cadivor's third son, BLEDDRI², is the next direct ancestor of the Welsh Morgan line (he was the source of the first version of the Morgan Coat-of-Arms).
   What follows is our lineage to Bleddri, according to the "Morgan Family History" book at the Family History Library in Salt Lake City, Utah (NOTE: In Welsh conventions of patronymics, AP denotes "son of," and FERCH denotes "daughter of." These were used because there were no surnames in Wales until about 1400, so it was the only way you could tell people apart):
   Bleddri married CLYDWEN, daughter of GRIFFITH ap CYDRICH, and had a son named IVOR. Ivor married NEST, daughter of CADAROC ap MADOC ap IDNERTH ap CADWGAN ap ELSTAN GLODDRYDD, and they had a son with the blessedly short name of LLEWELYN.
   Llewelyn married LLEICI, daughter of GRIFFITH ap BELI and had a son named IVOR.
   Ivor married TANGLWST, daughter of HOWEL SAIS ap ARGLWYDD RHYS, and had a son named LLEWELYN LLEIA. He married SUSAN, also a daughter of HOWEL ap HOWEL SAIS, a first cousin, although how anybody could trace that with all of the other aps and ferches running around is beyond me. Anyway, they had son named IVOR.
   Ivor's spouse is unknown, but he had a son named LLEWELYN, Lord of Kilsaint or St. Clear. Llewelyn married ANGHARAD (b. 1300), daughter and heir of SIR MORGAN ap MEREDITH, from the Welsh Lords of Cærleon, ap GRIFFITH ap MEREDITH ap RHYS, the Lord of Tredegar. (From this point the Morgan line descends as the "Morgans of Tredegar.")³


  • MORGAN (see below).
  • IVOR HAEL, whence Morgan of Gwern-y-Cleppa
  • PHILIP, whence Lewis of St. Pierre.
  •    Llewelyn and Angharad's son, MORGAN (d. 1384), married MAUD, daughter of RHUN ap GRONO ap LLWARCH, Lord of Cibwr.


  • LLEWELYN ap MORGAN (see below)
  • PHILIP, whence Morgan of Langstone
  • JOHN, father of Gwenllian, married David Goch ap David.
  • CHRISTIAN, who married Jevan ap Jenkin Kemeys
  • ANN, who married David Gwilim David of Rhiwperr.
  • MARGARET, who married Traherne ap Meyric of Merthyr
  • (DAUGHTER), who married Thomas ap Gwillim of Carnllwyd
  • ELENOR, who married Grono ap Howel Bennet.
  •    Their son, LLEWELYN ap MORGAN of Tredegar and St. Clear, married JENET, daughter and heir of DAVID-VYCHAN ap DAVID of Rhydodyn. (Relax, the names get easier now.)


  • JEVAN MORGAN (see below)
  • CHRISTY MORGAN, who married Madoc ap Jevan of Gelligaer.
  • (?), who married Roger ap Adam of St. Mellon's.
  • (?), who married Madoc of Bassalleg.
  • (?), who married Thomas Llewelyn.
  • ANN MORGAN, who married John ap Jenkin.
  • (?), who married (?) of Raglan.
  • (?), who married (?) of Builth.
  •    Their son, JEVAN MORGAN (1415 - 1448), married DENISE, or ELIZABETH, daughter of THOMAS ap LLEWELYN-VYCHAN of Lllangattog-on-Usk. (The use of the Morgan surname begins with this generation.) Their children:


  • JOHN MORGAN was born in Tredgar on 1447 to Jevan Morgan and Denis Verch Thomas. John married Jonet Mathew and had 9 children. John was a Knight of the Sepulchre, awarded in 1448, and Steward of Gwentlloog. He passed away on 1492 in Tredegar, Monmouth, England. (See below).
  • DAVID MORGAN (1442 - 1448)
  • JENKYN MORGAN (1454)

  • Front view of Tredegar (House), from "The History of Monmouthshire" by David Williams, 1793; Illustration by John Gardnor.
       Their son, Sir JOHN MORGAN, was created a Knight of the Holy Sepulchre (possibly c.1448). Later, when Henry Tudor was crowned King Henry VII, it greatly benefited the Morgans of Tredegar who were staunch supporters of Henry. Sir John received reward for his early support, and on 7 November 1485 he was appointed by the new king to the office of 'Sheriff of Wentloog and Newport' and made 'Steward' of the Machen Commote. Sir John's elevation to officer of the Tudor crown placed his influence and power at a new height. Around 1490, he commissioned the building of a new house at Tredegar. A wing of Sir John's stone manor house still exists. (It is the oldest part of the present day Tredegar House.)
       John married JENET VERCH MATHEW (1443-1494), daughter and co-heir of JOHN ap DAVID MATHEW of Llandaff. They had the following children:


  • MORGAN MORGAN (obviously mom and dad didn't spend a lot of time thinking up a first name.)
  • THOMAS MORGAN (1474 - 1538), whence Morgan of Machen and Tredegar, was Esquire to King Henry VII. He married ELIZABETH VAUGHAN (see below).
  • JOHN MORGAN, was knighted 22 June 1497, after Blackheath; Died in 1504, married Margaret, daughter of Sir Thomas Morgan of Pencoyd. Had John and Margaret.
  • LEWIS MORGAN (b. 1491)
  • WILLIAM MORGAN, coroner, 1501, father of John of Newport (d. 1541), father of William (1541 - 1559).
  • PHILIP MORGAN (b. 1491)
  • ELIZABETH MORGAN, who married John Fiennes, Lord Clinton and Say
  • JANE MORGAN, who married William David Powel.
  • MARY MORGAN, who married Thomas Llewelyn-vychan of Rhiwperra
  • ISABELLA MORGAN, who married James Kemeys of Began, ob. 1591
  •    Their son, THOMAS MORGAN (1474 - 1538), acted as Esquire to the body of King Henry VII and built Plas Machen after his lord gained the throne of England at Bosworth Field in 1485. The Morgans were rewarded and were allowed to purchase the manors of Bedwellty and Mynyddislwyn. They were rather unpromising lands back then, but the soil contained rich mineral deposits that added greatly to the fortune of future members of the Morgan family. Thomas married Elizabeth (b. 1474), daughter of Sir Roger Vaughan of Brecon, and many of their children were set up in estates of their own (the Morgans really were more of a clan than simply a family and had cadet branches all over South Wales). Their children included:


  • ROWLAND MORGAN b: 1508 in Of Machen, Gwynllwg, Monmouthshire, England.
  • RHEINALLT MORGAN b: ABT 1510 in Of Llanfedw, Is Caeach, Glamorgan, Wales.
  • JOHN MORGAN b: ABT 1512 of Basaleg, Gwynllwg, Monmouthshire, England. A fifth generation descendant of John was Sarah Morgan of Pennsylvania, who was born on July 23, 1720. She married Squire Boone of Bucks County, Pennsylvania, and was the mother of Daniel Boone.
  • EDMUND MORGAN b: ABT 1514 in Of Bedwellty, Gwynllwg, Monmouthshire, England.
  • MARGARET MORGAN, b: ABT 1516 in Of Machen, Gwynllwg, Monmouthshire, England.
  • BARBARA MORGAN b: ABT 1518 in Mecham, Monsmouth, Wales.
  • MAUD MORGAN b: 1520 in Mecham, Monsmouth, Wales.
  • JANE MORGAN, b: ABT 1522 in Of Machen, Gwynllwg, Monmouthshire, England.
  • CONSTANCE MORGAN, b: ABT 1524 in Of Machen, Gwynllwg, Monmouthshire, England.
  • MARY MORGAN, b: 1526 in Of Machen, Gwynllwg, Monmouthshire, England.
  • ELIZABETH MORGAN, b: 1528 in Of Machen, Gwnllwg, Monmouthshire, England.
  •    Their son, ROWLAND MORGAN (1498 - 1577), of Machen, Monmouth,England, was a sheriff in 1557. He married BLANCH THOMAS (b. 1512) of Tre Owen, Wonastow, Monmouthshire, in 1530 in Machen, Gwynllwg, Monmouthshire, Wales. They had the following children:


  • THOMAS MORGAN b: 1534 (see below).
  • HENRY MORGAN b: 1536. in Llanrhymni, Monmouth, Wales; died 1603 in Llanrhymni, Monmouth, Wales. Married Catherine Kemeys about 1561 in Llanrhymni, Monmouth, Wales. Catherine was born in 1540 in Llanrhymni, Monmouth, Wales. Henry and Catherine Morgan had at least three children: Thomas, Infant (born & died abt 1562) and Blanch (born abt 1564). From his branch descended Sir Henry Morgan of Jamaica, privateer and adventurer, who was knighted by King Charles II and became Lieutenant-Govenor of Jamaica. He is known in history as "Morgan the Pirate," and the guy on the label of Morgan's Rum.
  • ANN MORGAN b: 1542
  • MARY MORGAN b: 1542
  •    Their son was THOMAS MORGAN (1534 - 1603) of Machen and Tredegar. In 1559 he married ELIZABETH BODENHAM (b. 1538). He built Pencoed (pronounced "Pen-koyd") Castle, set in around 370 acres of rolling farmland about one km. from the village of Llandevaud in Monmouthshire (now the county of Gwent).
       The castle is a fortified Tudor manor house thought to have been built during the first quarter of the 16th Century on the site of a moated Norman castle held in 1270 by Sir Richard de la More and in 1306 by Maurice and Walter de Kemeys. (The statue in front is of Lord Tredegar, a Morgan who took part in Britain's most famous military tragedy—the Charge of the Light Brigade during the Crimean War.) The manor house appears to incorporate parts of the earlier castle.
       In 1485, the Battle of Bosworth ended the Wars of the Roses and it became possible to build a large family home without having to worry too much about arrow slits and gun ports. Pencoed reflects a peaceful (and for some) a prosperous period in Wales. Nearby Llanmartin Church once boasted a carefully wrought chapel with carved effigies of an ancient Morgan knight and his wife—but a later owner of the manor stripped the lead from the chapel roof and time and decay made this memorial less memorable. Today the entire estate has fallen into disrepair:

       But good news—the castle was recently bought by a local businessman named Mr. Peter Morgan, so it is Morgan-owned once more. Mr. Morgan says that respect for the integrity of the castle and its environs will govern all decisions in any repair work done on the castle. (Note to Peter: LOSE THE TRAILER IN FRONT.)
       Anyway, back to Thomas. He was Middle Temple in the law courts in London in 1567-77. He then became a Sheriff in 1581, and a member of Parliament in 1589. Thomas and Elizabeth had:


  • WILLIAM MORGAN b: 1560 (see below).
  • EDWARD MORGAN b: 1562
  • JOHN MORGAN b: 1564.
  • DAVID MORGAN b: 1566.
  • BLANCH MORGAN b: 1568
  • ANN MORGAN b: 1578
  •    Their son WILLIAM MORGAN (1560 - 1653) was Sheriff in 1612. He was a member of Parliament from 1623-25, and Knighted in 1633. He received King Charles I at Tredegar July 16-17, 1645. He married first wife, ELIZABETH WINTERS, in 1581. (She was the daughter of SIR WILLIAM WINTERS of Lidney and was born in 1564). His second wife was BRIDGET MORGAN of Hayford. (The descendants of Sir William assumed the titles of Lord Tredegar. In 1792 this title was raised to Baronet Tredegar and to Baron Tredegar in 1859. In 1905 it was raised again to Viscount Tredegar. The title became extinct in 1962 when the last Viscount died without an heir.)


  • Elizabeth MORGAN b: 1583 in Tredegar, Monmouthshire, Wales (see below).
  • Blanche MORGAN b: 1587
  • Thomas MORGAN b: 1588
  • Edward MORGAN b: 1592
  • Rowland MORGAN b: 1597
  • John MORGAN b: 1600
  • Mary MORGAN b: 1605
  • Frances MORGAN b: 1609
  • William MORGAN b: 1610
  • Mary MORGAN b: 1611
  •    Their daughter, ELIZABETH MORGAN, was born in 1583 in Tredegar, Monmouthshire, Wales. She died on the 28th of June, 1638, in Bristol, England, and is buried there.
       Elizabeth then married into a second Morgan line, from Llandaff, Glamorganshire. They do not seem to be closely related to Elizabeth's line, as far as anyone can tell:

    Our Second Morgan Line:

       The next Morgan lineage in our family does not go back quite as far. This family can be traced back to a man named WILLIAM MORGAN, born around 1550. He married a woman named CWLADIS. All we really know about this man is that he was born about 500 years after Bleddri, but where his line veered off from the one listed above is unknown. William and Cwladis had a son, also named WILLIAM MORGAN, in the village of Llandaff, Glamorganshire, in 1582.
       In 1606, William II, a merchant of Dderw (Thurrow), married Elizabeth. It must have been nice for Elizabeth to get married but not have to change her last name. Anyway, this union gave us many famous descendants (beyond us, I mean): Millard Fillmore, John Robbinson Jeffers, John Pierpont (J.P.) Morgan, General John Hunt Morgan, Archibald MacLeish, Humphrey Bogart, Thomas Lanier ("Tennessee") Williams, and Princess Diana Spencer and her sons.
       William and Elizabeth moved to Bristol, and so our two Morgan lines merged back into one. Together William Morgan and Elizabeth Morgan had three sons that we know of, and possibly a daughter named BLANCHE:


  • JAMES MORGAN b: 1607 in of Llandaff, Glamorganshire, Wales. He sailed to America, and subsequently moved to Plymouth Colony, then later settled in New Haven, CT, where he became a member of the Colonial Assembly of Connecticut and fought in the Pequot War.
  • JOHN MORGAN b: @ 1610 in of Llandaff, Glamorganshire, Wales. He sailed to America, where he grew disgusted with the bigotry, superstition, and the persecutions (including the witch trials) then taking place in New England and moved to Virginia.
  • MILES MORGAN (1616 - 28 May 1699) was born in of Llandaff, Glamorganshire, Wales, then became a colonist of America, a pioneer settler of what was to become Springfield, Massachusetts. Being one of the few settlers whose homesteads were successfully defended during the Attack on Springfield, Morgan was lauded as a hero of King Philip's War in 1675 for providing shelter and successfully contacting troops in Hadley. Today, a statue of Miles Morgan stands in the city's Court Square in Metro Center. This statue, completed in 1882, was the first important work of Jonathan Scott Hartley. Captain Morgan was also a direct ancestor of financier John Pierpont Morgan.
  •    At this time, you couldn't swing a dead cat in Wales without hitting a Morgan. (I tried recently and hit four.) So in March of 1636, the three Morgan sons sailed from Bristol, England, to a new land—Boston, Massachusetts, on the ship 'Mary', arriving the following April. James settled in New London, Connecticut. John did not like Puritan company, being a high churchman, so he soon left Boston and settled in Virginia.
       We are descendants of the youngest son, MILES MORGAN. Miles was an adventurer, explorer, Indian fighter, constable, and local hero. And as you will read, the stories about Miles are always the most dramatic of the three brothers':

       "The story that John Alden fell in love with Pricilla Molines while the 'Mayflower' lay at Southampton finds its duplicate in the tale of young Miles Morgan, who, wandering in January, 1636, on the wharves at Bristol, beheld the fair Prudence Gilbert, about to sail with her parents for America, and thereupon hastily determined to embark in the same ship. On landing in Boston, Miles joined the exploring party of Colonel William Pynchon, which located the town of Springfield. Although the early pioneer admitted he was less than 21 years of age, he soon became 2nd in command. No sooner had the youth received his allotment of land than he started back on foot with an Indian guide to Beverly, where the Gilbert family had settled. There he and Prudence were married. He brought her back, also on foot, with the Indian and a horse purchased in Beverly, both laden with the bride's household goods, and going before, while Captain Morgan, following with his match-lock and with his bride by his side, made his way through the trackless forest to their new home in the wilderness." This story is gleaned from 'The Family of Morgan'by the eminent Shakespearean scholar, Dr. Appleton Morgan." (The "New England Historical & Genealogical Record," page 41)

    A life-size figure of Captain Miles Morgan adorns Court Square, Springfield. The colossal bronze statue, sculpted by Jonathan Scott Hartley, shows Miles in huntsman's dress, jackboots, and cocked hat, with a rifle over his shoulder as he stands vigilant over the town, over 300 years after his death. (Click to enlarge.)
       "Being a younger son and of venturesome disposition," Miles arrived at Boston in April, 1636, and then joined a party of emigrants from Roxbury, led by Colonel William Pynchon. They undertook an expedition into the wilderness, and there founded the settlement of Springfield, Massachusetts, which they first called "Agawam." Miles constructed for himself a fortified blockhouse on the bank of Connecticut river.
       Soon after settling in Springfield he married the aforementioned PRUDENCE GILBERT (1616 - 24 Jan 1660), born in Beverley, Yorkshire, England.
       Although Miles was the youngest in the party of explorers, he soon rose to be second in command. He was assigned to important positions of trust both in town and church, "speedily becoming one of the most valued men of the colony, a brave and intrepid Indian fighter, a sturdy tiller of the fields and a wise counsellor in the government." He served one year as Constable and was five times chosen a Selectman, holding the latter office in 1655, 1657, 1660, 1662, and 1668. He had been given the title of "Sergeant Morgan" on the journey from Boston. in addition to establishing the farms that meant survival to the colonists he was also the butcher in the community and, in later years, operated a boat on the Connecticut River, trading with other colonists and with the Indians. He was subsequently known as "Captain Morgan." Unable to read or write, his mark on the town records was the sign of an anchor.
       He opened an account with John Pynchon, August 30, 1652, by purchasing 9 yards of Devonshire kersey at 9s, which amounted to £4 1s, 9 yards of Red Cotton at 3s 8d, 2 yards of Scots cloth 5s, several pairs of stockings and a variety of other family necessities, including 2 combs, 4 pairs of "sissars," 4 inkhorns, and a looking glass, the latter costing 2s. The lost charge in the year was for "7 Pills, 14d." Many of the credits were for "voyadges" down to the falls or to the "foote of the falls," referring to the falls in the Connecticut at Enfield. "By carrying goods down & bringing up with Goodman Merrick in July, 1663, your part is £1 14s 1d."
       His homelot was on the south side of the present Cyprus Street, next to Main Street, on what was the land to the upper wharf. He appears to have been a thrifty inhabitant and by killing "beasts," and carrying down "corne," and doing a great variety of work for Pynchon, he escaped the perils of owing too much at his store, unlike other Springfield inhabitants like the Brookes family. Miles' "housing and lands" do not appear to have been transferred to John Pynchon's possessions, who seems to have placed confidence in his accuracy in accounts, for he frequently enters in his book, "By worke as in Miles his Booke," and they were balanced accordingly.
       Miles Morgan and Prudence Gilbert had the following children:


  • JOSEPH MORGAN was born in Mar 1640 in Springfield, Hampden, Massachusetts.
  • MARY MORGAN was born on 14 Dec 1644 in Springfield, Hampden, Massachusetts.
  • JONATHAN BURT MORGAN was born on 16 Nov 1646 in Springfield, Hampden, Massachusetts. He served in King Philip's War and participated in Turner's Falls Fight under Capt. William Turner. Family listed below.
  • DAVID MORGAN was born on 23 Jul 1648 in Springfield, Hampden, Massachusetts.
  • PELATIAH MORGAN was born on 5 May 1650 in Springfield, Hampden, Massachusetts. Killed by Native American warriors in battle in 1675.
  • ISAAC MORGAN was born on 12 Mar 1652 in Springfield, Hampden, Massachusetts.
  • LYDIA MORGAN was born on 8 Feb 1654 in Springfield, Hampden, Massachusetts. In 1681, Lydia worked in the household of the family of Samuel Gaines, who became the father of her child. Miles filed charges and won his suit and Mr. Gaines was ordered to pay child support.
  • HANNAH MORGAN was born on 11 Feb 1656 in Springfield, Hampden, Massachusetts.
  • MERCY MORGAN was born on 18 May 1658 in Springfield, Hampden, Massachusetts.
  • Book Information
    Book Image
    Name: The Miles Morgan family of Springfield, Massachusetts: in the line of Joseph Morgan of Hartford, Connecticut, 1780-184
    Author: Frank Farnsworth Starr
    Publisher: Hartford, CT
    Year: 1904
    Pages: 503-505
    View Book
    A Study of the Miles Morgan family (Jonathan and Sarah Cooley, p. 26).
       Prudence died around 1660, and then Miles married ELIZABETH BLISS (1637 - 1683) of Hartford Connecticut, the daughter of Thomas Bliss and Margaret Hulins, on the 15th of February, 1669, in Springfield. They had a son named NATHANIEL MORGAN (23 Aug 1671 - 30 Aug 1752). Nathaniel, continued the legacy of the Morgan name by becoming a powerful member of his small town. Nathaniel had many professions in his town, including Fence Viewer, hayward, field driver, constable, surveyor, and assessor. He married Hannah Bird, daughter of James Bird and Lydia Steele, on the 19th of January, 1691, in Springfield, and is the ancestor of John Pierpont (J. P.) Morgan (1837-1913).
       Then the town of Springfield was sacked and burned by the Indians in King Philip's war in 1675. Captain Morgan's blockhouse became the fortress of the place, and, after the burning of the settlement, held out until a friendly Indian sent by Miles carried word to Major Samuel Appleton at Hadley, who sent thirty-six men (the standing army of the colony of Massachusetts bay), as reinforcements. They arrived in time to save the lives of the besieged settlers. Sadly, among those killed was Peletiah, Captain Morgan's son.
       Miles appears in the records as a Selectman, Constable, Surveyor, Fence Viewer, and overseer of highways. He was also appointed to sit in the balcony of the church during services and maintain order among the young men in the congregation. ("...up in ye gallery, to give a check to disorders in youth and young men in tyme of God's worship"). Given the piety of the early settlers this was a position of some honor and also attests to his force of personality.
       Elizabeth died on the second of October, 1683, in Springfield. And the Captain joined her on the 28th of May, 1699, in the town he founded and protected for sixty years.
       Our ancestor, JONATHAN BURT MORGAN (16 Nov 1646 - 10 Apr 1714), also grew up in Springfield, Hampden, Massachusetts. He was a fighter, like his father. He served in King Philip's War and participated in Turner's Falls Fight under Capt. William Turner. However, he didn't attain his father's pious reputation, as according to the records, Hannah Merrick, unmarried daughter of Thomas Merrick, accused him of fathering her child in 1673. Miles provided his son's bail and Jonathan fought the charge. The court found him guilty, however, and ordered him to pay two shillings, six pence towards the child's support for four years. Jonathan's second wife eventually got a full confession from Hannah (the records do not indicate how) and Hannah was condemned to pay a fine of seven Pounds or receive twenty lashes as punishment for her perjury. Jonathan, not letting matters lie, then filed a suit charging slander against Hannah's father, but lost. He married (first) SARAH COOLEY (27 Feb 1653 - 14 Feb 1743) in Springfield on the 5th of January, 1679, as detailed in the book, at right.
       Jonathan and Sarah had eight children, all born in Springfield:


  • SARAH MORGAN, born in 1675 in Springfield, Hampden, Massachusetts.
  • MARY MORGAN, born in 1679 in Springfield, Hampden, Massachusetts.
  • JONATHAN MORGAN, born 27 Nov 1682 in Springfield, Hampden, Massachusetts. Died young.
  • JONATHAN MORGAN, born 5 Dec 1686 in Springfield, Hampden, Massachusetts.
  • ELIZABETH MORGAN, born 27 Jul 1693 in Springfield, Hampden, Massachusetts.
  • REBECCA MORGAN, born 20 Oct 1695 in Springfield, Hampden, Massachusetts. Family listed below.
  • HANNAH MORGAN, born in 1696 in Springfield, Hampden, Massachusetts.
  • HANNAH MORGAN born in 1699 in Springfield, Hampden, Massachusetts.
  • JONATHAN MORGAN, born @ 1700 in Springfield, Hampden, Massachusetts.
  •    They had a daughter, REBECCA MORGAN (20 Oct 1695 - 22 Feb 1775). She married WILLIAM SANDERSON (1706 - 1750), in Springfield, Hampden, Massachusetts, on the 20th of May in 1723.


  • WILLIAM SANDERSON, IV, b: 13 May 1724 in Springfield, Hampden, Massachusetts. Died: before 1729.
  • MEDAD SANDERSON, b: 7 May 1726 in Springfield, Hampden, Massachusetts. He married SARAH NICHOLSON on 7 May 1753. Died: 11 Sep 1781.
  • REBECCA SANDERSON, b: 27 Jun 1728 in Springfield, Hampden, Massachusetts. She married JAMES NASH on 25 Oct 1770. Died: 24 May 1815.
  • ELNATHAN SANDERSON Born: 03 Jul 1730, Springfield, Hampden, MA.
  • AMAZIAH SANDERSON, b: 1 Sep 1732 in Springfield, Hampden, Massachusetts. He married ABIGAIL STEELE on 26 Jun 1751.
  • ROBERT SANDERSON, b: 13 Jul 1734 in Springfield, Hampden, Massachusetts. Christened: 23 Jul 1734. Died: Aug 1798, Chester Hampden MA Family listed below.
  • SPECIAL THANKS to Neale McCarthy, who straightened me out on spelling, geography, and genealogy while standing approximately 500 yards from Tredegar House, as Neale does most days. Lucky...


    ELEN, who married CADIVOR-FAWR (d. 1089) and begat...

    BLEDDRI (MORGAN LINE BEGINS), who married CLYDWEN and begat...

    IVOR, who married NEST and begat...

    LLEWELYN, who married LLEICI and begat...

    IVOR, who married TANGLWST and begat...

    LLEWELYN LLEIA, who married SUSAN and begat...

    IVOR, who begat...

    LLEWELYN, who married ANGHARAD (b. 1300) and begat...

    MORGAN (d. 1384), who married MAUD and begat...

    LLEWELYN AP MORGAN, who married JENET and begat...

    JEVAN MORGAN (1415 - 1448), who married DENISE and begat...

    JOHN MORGAN, who married JENET and begat...

    THOMAS MORGAN (1474 - 1538), who married ELIZABETH VAUGHAN (b. 1474) and begat...

    ROWLAND MORGAN (1498 - 1577), who married BLANCH THOMAS (b. 1512) and begat...

    THOMAS MORGAN (1534 - 1603), who married ELIZABETH BODENHAM (b. 1538) and begat...

    WILLIAM MORGAN (1560 - 1653), who married ELIZABETH WINTERS (b. 1564) and begat...

    ELIZABETH MORGAN (1583 - 1638) married WILLIAM MORGAN (1582 - 1648) and begat...

    MILES MORGAN (1616 - 1699), who married PRUDENCE GILBERT (1616 - 1660) and begat..

    JONATHAN BURT MORGAN (1646 - 1714), who married SARAH COOLEY (1653 - 1743) and begat...

    REBECCA MORGAN (1695 - 1775), who married WILLIAM SANDERSON (b. 10 APR 1706) and begat...

    ROBERT SANDERSON (b. 13 Jul 1734), who married RHODA STEELE and begat...

    ELNATHAN SANDERSON (1776 - 1854) married BETSY WALTERS and begat...

    DAVID SANDERSON (1804 - 1884) who married POLLY BRIGGS (1811 - 1867) and begat...

    MELISSA SANDERSON (1839 - 1921) who married LABAN HAUSE (1831 - 1906) and begat...

    FRANK HAUSE (1867 - 1951) who married FLADELLA RAYMOND (1869 - 1961) and begat...

    CARLISLE HAUSE (1891 - 1972) who married MARJORIE MARCHANT (1892 - 1939) and begat...

    CARLETON MARCHANT HAUSE, SR. (1917 - 1983) who married JEANNE BRUNNER (1918 - 2000) and begat...

    CARLETON MARCHANT HAUSE, JR. (1939 - 2014) who married MARTHA WENK (b. 1940) and begat...

    JEFF (who married LORI ANN DOTSON), KATHY (who married HAL LARSEN), ERIC (who married MARY MOONSAMMY), and MICHELE HAUSE (who married JOHN SCOTT HOUSTON).


    ¹—Other surname authorities derive the name Morgan from Muir or mor (sea) and cant (an edge or brink) "which is certainly characteristic of the situation of the Gla Morgan country." (Beauties of England and Wales. XVIII, p. 542).

    ²—The Morgan family is the best-chronicled clan in Wales, so although the particular ancestors aren't known, it is generally agreed that our Morgan lines, as well as every branch which existed in the thirteen original American states, and the Western Reserve, derives from this man. Bleddri was the third son of Cadivor-Fawr and Elen. He is considered the first Morgan because his coat of arms is the basis for almost all of the Morgan lines from that point on. We can also trace our lineage through his mother, Elen, for another 500 years (twenty generations). This line started with GWYNEDD, Cymric King, born in 605, A.D. (You can follow the entire line on page 249 in "The Family of Morgan," Part II (PDF file).

    ³—Tredegar's name came from Tredegar Fawr, the name of the mansion or seat of the old Morgans, who were the owners of the land upon which Tredegar stands. The earliest record of someone with the name Morgan living at Tredegar is 1402. Tredegar House, Newport (historically Monmouthshire) is a mansion in the unitary authority area of Newport.


  • "The Family of Morgan, from the year 1089, with postscript carrying the Tredegar Morgan line backward to AD 605," compiled by Appleton Morgan. The Shakespeare Press of Westfield, New Jersey. Excerpts: Part I (Family History); Part II (Miles Morgan); Part III (Index)
  • "The Morgan Family History" by Alice Helper Morgan
  • "A History of the Morgan Family, FHL book # 929.273/M821md," Family History Library, Salt Lake City, Utah.
  • "The Miles Morgan family of Springfield, Massachusetts", by Frank Farnsworth Starr; Hartford, Conn., 1904. Compiled and enlarged by Frank Farnsworth Starr, from a sketch by Dr. Titus Morgan of his branch of the Morgan family.
  • "An American Family: Morgan" by Patricia Gausnell.
  • "Miles Morgan" Wikipedia page.
  • "Morgan Family" Wikipedia page.
  • Library of Congress Photo: Miles Morgan Statue, with the inscription, "Miles Morgan, an early settler of Springfield, died 1699, aged 84" on base; "3960" on negative. Detroit Publishing Co. no. 070536. 1 negative: glass; 8x10 in. Library of Congress Call Number: LC-D4-70536 [P&P].Gift; State Historical Society of Colorado; 1949. The Miles Morgan statue remains in the same spot today where it appears in this 1908 photo, but everything surrounding it has changed; none of the buildings in the background exist today. The open lot behind the statue had been the location of the Springfield City Hall, but it burned down on January 6, 1905, with the alleged culprit being a monkey that overturned a kerosene lantern. Most of the other structures were replaced by the luxurious Sheraton Springfield Monarch Place Hotel. "Whether you're here for work or to visit nearby attractions including MGM Springfield Casino, Dr. Seuss Museum, the Basketball Hall of Fame or Six Flags New England, you'll find everything you need to thrive!" (No monkeys with lanterns allowed.)
  • "The Prominent Families of The United States" (Biloxi, Miss. Library) p 85, gives the year of marriage of Miles and Prudence as 1636.
  • The First Century of the History of Springfield, by Henry M. Burt, Vol. II, 1899; Pages 587-621
  • Hudson-Mohawk Genealogical and Family Memoirs, Vol. III, pp. 1076-1077, edited by Cuyler Reynolds. New York: Lewis Historical Publishing Company, 1911

  • WENDY RAWLINGS is decended from William Sanderson and Rebecca Morgan. She has been a mental health counselor for 30 years (mental health is rare in genealogists) in clinical work, and specializes in Collaborative Law as a Family Specialist, Child Specialist and Divorce Coach, and in Bariatric Surgery issues including pre and post surgery preparation, behavioral changes and family support. Wendy has a B.S. Degree in Child Development and Family Relationships and an MS in Counseling Psychology from Eastern Washington University. She is a Licensed Mental Health Counselor, Nationally Certified Counselor, and a Certified Distance Counselor. See her website here.

  • Title: Miles Morgan (1892), Hartley, Jonathan Scott, 1845-1912, sculptor; M. J. Power Bronze Founder, founder. Medium: Sculpture: bronze; Base: granite. Owner: Administered by City of Springfield, Springfield, Massachusetts; Located Court Square, Springfield, Massachusetts.