Pioneer German families founded Zion Lutheran Church in 1865 as the western portion of Saint Thomas Lutheran parish. The congregation adopted its first constitution and dedicated this substantial Neo-Gothic building in 1867. The church was enlarged and remodeled in 1909, providing for a new altar, pulpit, sacristy and art glass windows. On June 6, 1917, a tornado severly damaged the facade, roof and steeple; however, repairs and the installation of a tracker organ were made in time for the fiftieth anniversary dedication in September. The interior was redecorated in 1932 adn 1947. The congregation worshipped exclusively in German until 1930, and held services in this building until 1974 when the new church was dedicated.
   The church cemetery, located just west of the church, has tombstones inscribed in German, and includes the plots of families who gave their names to roads in the area, Eisman and Eschelbach. The church complex and the homes once formed a settlement called Rodgers Corners.
   Today the church has a newer, larger complex across the street with more seats, big video screens so you can see better from the back, and a fellowship hall in the basement that seats hundreds; but one Sunday per month, everybody crosses back over to cram themselves into the tiny pews to enjoy a traditional service in a small country church.Phone #: (734) 475-8064

The altar as it looked a hundred years ago, and as it looks today. Hasn't changed a bit!

The old graveyard, and Atticus Hause posing with his grandmother... and his 3x great-grandfather.