238 Priory Road, Anfield, Merseyside England, Postal Code: L4 2SL
The site is roughly diamond-shaped, lying on a northwest-southeast axis, and occupying an area of about 57 hectares. It is bounded mainly by a sandstone wall, and by a short length of fencing. There are four entrances, the main entrance being at the corner of Walton Lane and Priory Road. There are other separate entrances on Walton Lane and on Priory Road, and a fourth entrance at the northeast corner, which is known as the Cherry Lane entrance, and is entered by a bridge under the railway line. The layout of cemetery was designed by Edward Kemp, and building started in 1861. The cost of the cemetery, including the purchase of the land, was over £150,000 (equivalent to £1,330,000 in 2015). The first burial took place in 1863, and the building of the cemetery was completed the following year. The buildings in the cemetery, including the three chapels, and the entrances and entrance lodges. were designed by the Liverpool architects Lucy and Littler. (Two of the original chapels and one of the lodges have been demolished.)
William Marchant is buried in the Church of England section 13; in grave number 587 (as it's a public grave, there is no headstone).
NOTES ON THIS PAGE: